Thursday, August 31, 2017

My Friend, Bill Potere (May 22, 1943 - August 23, 2017)


Bill and I met after an interesting lecture by Rev. Larry Dannemiller at the Van Hoosen Museum on May 15, 2003.  The lecture was about Muhammad, the prophet of Islam.   After 9/11, there was a lot of interest in those kinds of topics.  I was curious that why the museum would choose a Christian clergyman to talk about the Prophet Muhammad.

I was the only non-white person in the crowd during that jam-packed lecture.  The reverend was a very well read and wise man. He talked reverently about the prophet Muhammad and actually cleared up lots of misconception about Islam and debunked lots of conspiracy theories people received through email chains.

During the Q&A, Bill commented on how all the religions are being abused by their followers. According to him, the religious zealots are a problem in all the religions.  I also raised my hand, commended the reverend and told him about the common bond between Christians and Muslims, which is their belief in God and in the hereafter.  And how my Muslim family growing up in India always supported the USA against the USSR in all the Olympics finals in basketball, ice hockey etc., for a simple reason: these people (USA) believed in God and the other people (USSR) did not believe in God.  The audience really liked my comments and I got a standing ovation.  Moreover, I got an invitation to meet the reverend later that night at his friend’s house, where Bill was also invited.  That was the beginning of our friendship. 

Bill loved the Rochester area.  He introduced me to the Greater Leadership Rochester and recommended that I join the program, which I did and finished in May of 2004.  A few years later, when the Paint Creek Center for the Arts asked me to join their board, he encouraged me to say “yes.”   He introduced me to the Clinton River Watershed Council by inviting me to their pancake breakfast at the Rochester Municipal Park.  I also sought his advice in my personal and professional life, and he was always generous with his time and advice. 

Bill wanted all Rochester organizations to have diverse voices and encouraged me to add my voice and make Rochester a better place for everyone.  He wanted the board of local organizations to reflect the community they are serving.  He would say, “Ignorance leads to prejudice, let us remove ignorance.” 

Bill was an avid biker and he introduced me to all the bike trails in the area, be it Paint Creek Trail, Clinton River Trail, Polly Ann trail or Stoney Creek Trail.  I would normally drive to his house with my bike and we would start biking from there.  We did a couple of Tour de Troit events.  It was interesting to ride with him in the city of Detroit. He showed me the place/bar where the 1967 riots/uprising started, different neat neighborhoods, and of course, a French breakfast place (I have still yet to try that place).  After our first Tour de Troit, we visited Martha in her apartment in Detroit.  Bill was very proud of his daughter Martha, she was the star of his eyes. Unfortunately, he was not able to join me for Tour de Troit last year.  

Bill knew a lot about lots of things.  I enjoyed his company and our conversations ranged from politics to religion to philosophy to food to business to yoga vs. swimming (he liked yoga and I enjoy swimming).  Like yoga vs. swimming, we agreed to disagree on lots of subjects.  Talking about food, well most of our bike rides on Saturdays ended with a serving of almond croissants at the Give Thanks Bakery.  Bill knew Gerald Matthes, the owner of the bakery, and we had interesting conversations with him.  Fall rides at the Clinton River Trail included a stop at Verellen Orchards for a serving of their famous peach ice cream.  It was cool to eat ice cream at 10:00 AM.  He also introduced me to Folger’s Orchard and Farm, suggesting that I need to go there to try their sweet corn, which arrives in August.  Well, I have been their regular customer ever since.

During one winter, Bill told me that to make my winter interesting, I should get into winter sports of some sort.  He told me that if you want to see a completely different look of Stoney Creek Park, we must go there for cross-country skiing.  As I did not have the skis, etc., he offered me Martha’s and we were able to go.  Martha’s boots were little tight, but I did not mind.  Wow, Stoney Creek does look amazing when completely covered with snow.

Bill knew almost everybody in Rochester.  When my younger brother, Mohammad Ali, a heart surgeon, visited me, he wanted to meet a local heart surgeon.  Guess, who knew a heart surgeon at Crittenton hospital? 

Bill was connected, I mean politically.  A few year back, a woman (born and raised in Rochester, white, wears hijab) at the mosque called me and told me about a meeting she attended, where for the first in her life, she thought her life was in danger.  The meeting was organized by Islamophobes, where they talked about how Muslims (yes 1% or less of the population is taking over our country) are taking over and we need to get rid of them.  She was the only visible Muslim there and she got scared.  She told me that beside Sheriff Bouchard, Mike Bishop (who was at that time Michigan House Majority Leader) was there as well.  

Bill knew Mike Bishop; I called him and told him what happened.  He was saddened to hear that this kind of gathering can take place in the Rochester area.  He immediately called Mike and arranged a meeting.  I met Mike Bishop and told him about the lady’s concern, and he wanted to apologize in person, but she decided not to meet him.  I think she was right in asking for a public apology rather than a personal one.  Anyways, point being, Bill could call a politician and he/she would respond quickly.  They knew he was a community leader with influence.  He was a member of the Rotary Club and took me to their Tuesday lunch meeting once.  Everybody knew him there and I found them to be very welcoming hosts.  

After Bill fell ill with Leukemia and became a snowbird, our interaction diminished.  Our bike rides became infrequent and shorter.  He was on a strict diet, so no more almond croissants and ice cream.  Last year, when I went with him for lunch in Troy, he located a salad place near my office and we met there.  I joked with him that he is going to turn me into a Vegan. 


As Bill had told me so much about his life in Florida, I suggested that I should visit him and check it out.  He readily agreed to host me.  Just before Thanksgiving break last year (2016), I visited him at his place in Fort Myers, FL.  I was there for only a couple of days (Thursday night to Sunday Morning). He picked me up in his Audi from the airport.  Over the next couple of days, we commiserated about the presidential election result, biked, kayaked, walked on the beach and drove to Naples.  It almost felt like he was as much at home in Fort Myers as he was in Rochester, MI.


Bill showed me all the hole-in-the-wall places to eat.  We went to a fish market and bought black grouper and crabmeat (only for me, as he was not eating any meat or seafood).  He knew different varieties of grouper, according to Bill, black grouper is the best.  I wanted to take Uber but he insisted in dropping me off at the airport.  That was the last time I saw Bill.  On August 23, 2017, I lost a great friend and valued mentor.  I was lucky to be his friend; he enriched my life beyond what I can express.  I will miss you Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment